Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
A delicious cold weather soup served best with a slice of fresh baked crunchy crusted bread. Try using different variations of sausage – I once apple sausage from a local butcher and the flavor profile was incredible!
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried sage
2 large potatoes, chopped into 1/2in cubes
1 lb kale, de-stemmed and chopped
12 cups chicken stock
Red pepper flakes (optional, 1/2 tsp)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Saute the pork in a large stock pot over medium heat until it starts to brown.
2) Add the onion, saute until slightly tender.
3) Add garlic and sage, sauteing until aromatic.
4) Add kale, cooking approximately 1-2 minutes or until slightly wilted
5) Cover with chicken stock, add red pepper flakes and bring to a boil over high heat then decrease temperature to a simmer.
6) Salt and pepper to taste
***At this point, if you would like to can your soup, follow the remaining steps***
- Once the soup comes to a boil, fill sterilized quart sized jars leaving 1″ headspace
2) Process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure at sea level/15 lbs of pressure >1,000ft above sea level
3) Once completed and pressure has been allowed to release from the pressure canner without assistance, allow the jars to complete cooling on the counter